History

HISTORY OF THE BUILDING

The first written record of this house dates from the year 1359 and its age is corroborated by the extant Gothic cellars. Originally it was not one house, but four small houses built roughly at the same time by one of the main Old Town streets connecting the Prague Castle and the Vysehrad Castle across a river ford where the Klarov quarter stands today. In the 14th century it was inhabited by rich artisans after whom today’s Charles Street was called Goldsmiths’Street then. Today’s Hus Street was called Dominican Street after the religious order settled around the near-by church of St. Gilles. Some of the original houses were interconnected in the 14th century and according to their house signs they were callet „The Golden Apple“ and „The Keys“. They were definitely joined at the end of the 18th century when this house acquired its current appearance.

Pushkin ApartmentsThese houses were built around the middle of the 14th century. Prague was then undergoing one of the most important periods of its developmont. The future Emperor Charles IV., who replaced on the Bohemian throne his father John of Luxembourg, lavished much care on his royal seat, Prague. He continued the construction of St. Vitus Cathedral at the Prague Castle, replaced the Judith Bridge damaged by a flood with a new stone bridge ending with the monumental Bridge Tower (one of the most beautiful medieval towers in Europe), and had the Prague bishopric elevated to the rank of archbishopric. And he evidently passed many a time The Golden Apple and The Keys, since the Prague Castle had been considerably damaged at the beginning of his reign and he dwelled for a time in the Old Town. Where exactly we don’t know, but it was doubtless somewhere in the vicinity of the Old Town Square.